To facilitate participatory community based, self reliant and sustainable action programs in order to reduce isolation, strengthen the bonds between Government and people and bring about meaningful social change to all throughout the island.
- To transform all community centres into vehicles for community action and development.
- To provide education and skill training opportunities at the community level to enhance social well being.
- Conduct community audits to determine status and needs of communities.
- Mobilization of communities to initiate community activities and the formulation of community groups.
- Facilitate community projects through BNTF.
- Upgrade, maintain and management of community centres.
To provide opportunities for individuals and communities to develop the concepts of self reliance and community action to bring about social change.
- Initiate homework assistance programs for students in all communities.
- Provide computer and other skill training opportunities for both students and adults in all communities.
- Provide the framework for the building/enhancement of good relationships among youth through training in leadership skills, life skills, conflict resolution etc.
- Establish and develop community groups.
- Mobilize communities into organizing festivals and competitions and provide logistic support for the same.
- Upgrade and maintain existing community centres and construct new centres as necessary.
- Establish neighbourhood watch to reduce incidences of crime and violence.
- Encourage and support cultural development through dance, music, drama and other aspects of the arts for both children and adults.
- Establish a community audit system to capture the demographics, human and physical resources, health and environment issues, employment, needs assessment etc throughout the island.
- Reduce the vulnerability, in a sustainable and gender sensitive manner of people living poverty through community projects.
- Establishment of community libraries.
- At the Community Development Department we are committed to the following:-
- We strive to provide the highest quality service to the public.
- We treat all individuals with respect, dignity and fairness.
- We recognize fellow employees as caring human service professionals and the essential role that each of us has in helping the Department pursue its mission.
- We foster communication and cooperation within our Department and with other community service agencies to establish and effective network of resources for people in need.
- We recognize and accept changes as an essential requisite for ensuring that services are efficient, effective and equitable.
- We encourage active leadership roles to make service improvements that better addresses our mission.
- We hold ourselves personally and organizationally responsible for achieving outcomes that support our Department’s mission.